It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

System freeze after intro movie, yet sound still plays

Anomaly Warzone Earth - all that relates to our game and Linux. Technicall support for Linux - if possible, that is.

System freeze after intro movie, yet sound still plays

Postby xman1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

On Anomaly start up, after the initial intro movie, I get the loading graphic in the bottom right of the screen. Shortly after that, the white cursor comes up on a black screen, and then shortly after that, the cursor will freeze, followed by a hard system freeze. Keyboard stops functioning, mouse stops functioning, and the whole system locks requiring one hold down the power button to power off. What is strange is the music plays in the background without issue even though the system is hard locked.

System is Gentoo with a KDE desktop.

fglrxinfo:
Code: Select all
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11733 Compatibility Profile Context

uname -r
3.2.12-gentoo

glxinfo:
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4

vainfo:
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.8.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD

Any help would be appreciated. This is the only game I have that will not run on Linux. All others work fine.

I should also mention I tried running this in a window and it still hard locks the system.

-X
xman1

Re: System freeze after intro movie, yet sound still plays

Postby admin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 pm

What we found out that the drivers shipped along with the system distribution do not work, but the ones you can download from the ATI / AMD website are supposed to work correct.

thx
admin
Site Admin

Postby mhelsley » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:58 am

I have exactly this problem despite multiple updates to the OS, multiple re-installs of the game (via steam), and manually installed older and newer graphics drivers. The proposed solution ("I have had the same problem. You need to install every package that comes with the game. Once your normal installation of the game completes it will ask for the installation of C++ redistribution package and the direct 11. You need to check both of those and allow the installation to complete. Then you will be ready to go.") cannot work for me for several reasons.

First of all, "C++ redistribution package" and "direct 11" are for Windows and not Linux. Secondly, I acquired the game through Steam so I do not have access to the standalone game installer for Linux (if any). Presumably steam manages "install [of] every package that comes with the game" yet it all but freezes after the intro video; Audio and the cursor are active but nothing else -- the screen is blank, it doesn't respond to clicks or keypresses, and switching VTs (ctrl-alt-f1 for example) freezes the cursor too. The music always plays though.

This issue has been covered numerous times:

http://forum.11bitstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=266&sid=fd8827e7486db4dcf49d4a622b156dcb

where this comment within the post:
http://forum.11bitstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=266&sid=fd8827e7486db4dcf49d4a622b156dcb#p1641

I am in exactly the same situation as the user named "v10lator" in that comment.
mhelsley

Postby privatetaj » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:20 pm

I have honestly never read such overwhelmingly good content like this. I agree with your points and your ideas. This info is really great. Thanks
One Day Agra Tour | Enjoy the beauty of northern India | Car Rental Services In Agra | Same Day Agra Tour | Golden Triangle Tour 3 Days | Choosing The Perfect Tour
privatetaj

Postby WilliamRiley » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:14 pm

This discussion can be best guide to update us about system freeze after intro movie. Thanks for updating us. - http://www.eliteassignment.co.uk/
WilliamRiley

Postby libatar » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:45 pm

Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. Trustoo Alkmaar httpmarketing
libatar

Postby vindchi » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:45 am

Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I have shared this amazing thread over on my
Last edited by vindchi on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
vindchi

Postby libatar » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:11 pm

Two full thumbs up for this magneficent article of yours. I've really enjoyed reading this article today and I think this might be one of the best article that I've read yet. Please, keep this work going on in the same quality. website
libatar

Postby jiuer7845 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:36 am

jiuer7845

Postby bristo » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:28 pm

It is good to see people are really interested in improving the efficiency of apps and making them better for the users. Freeze and sound not playing is a common type of issue that appears quite often in various apps. Such incidents also occur when playing media on WhatsApp. The way I use to deal with them is by downloading & installing Fouad WhatsApp.
bristo

Next

Return to Anomaly Warzone Earth - all that relates to our game on Linux. Technicall support for Linux.